Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dani Gurgel and Mão de Oito


And so my week of music continues...

On Thursday I attended two performances. The first was part of a new concert series in Casa das Caldeiras, Caldeira Acoustica. They open up the space's cavernous basement up for intimate performances of Musica Popular Brasileira (bossa nova and the like). The venue is well-suited for this sort of concert--low lights, warm brick walls, and gently vaulted ceilings. Thursday's act was Dani Gurgel, a singer/songwriter from Sao Paulo, joined by her 5-piece ensemble and numerous special guests. I enjoyed the show and the very relaxing vibe. My only complaint was the sound mixing, which left me wanting to hear her voice a bit more. That and the keyboard setting, which was a bit too synthetic for my taste.

At Caldeiras I met up with a few friends--a young singer from Argentina, two French artist/producers, and a Brazilian NGO administrator. After the show, we decided to pile into a taxi and make our way up to Rua Augusta (SP's party central) to Studio SP, where our Brazilian friend had a lead on a good concert.

StudioSPvirtual-1.jpg Flyer capa do myspace image by maodeoito

Studio SP, as best as I can tell, is one of Sao Paulo's hottest concert venues and Thursday night's show was proof of this. The band was Mão de Oito, a local pop rock band made up of six talented young musicians. I can't think of how to describe their sound so perhaps it's best if you check out their MySpace page. Their music was easy to listen to, easy to dance to, and well-executed.

The show lasted until maybe 3 am and was followed by a DJ. By the time my entourage and I stumbled out, it was time to think about breakfast. We walked up Augusta towards the Avenida Paulista and stopped off at an already-bustling diner. Lanches (in this context, hot sandwiches) were eaten by all. Mine had perfectly grilled steak, carrots, lettuce, cheese and cream cheese. Uma delicia!


No comments:

Post a Comment