Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reporting from Kampala

After two blog-less months I am back to share my experiences in Kampala, Uganda where I will be spending the next two weeks to carry out a program evaluation for Maisha Film Lab. (The evaluation project is part of my Master's degree program and takes the place of a thesis.) Maisha is a training institute for East African filmmakers and has been running month-long screenwriting and technical labs since 2005.

During the next two weeks myself and my partner will be interviewing over a hundred past Maisha lab participants to get an idea of the impact the labs are having on thesefilmmakers' careers and on the East African film industry more broadly.

When I'm not working, I'm hoping to get a taste of Kampala cultural life. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. Karen,
    Welcome to Kampala! Trust you will have a wonderful time here. For a deep insight about the city, visit http://www.welcometokampala.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. First post in the new year/decade. Can't wait to hear all about Uganda and the Film Labs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen,

    you are looking for examples of how art can contribute to Transitional Justice processes? I am working in Kosovo in this field and agree with you that the role of culture is often underestimated in processes to reckon with past violence. Nevertheless, here are some examples from the Balkan region: dwp-kosovo.info/en/ARTS I just started with the list. If you come up with a list of respective initiatives, just let me know.

    Best wishes from Prishtina,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, I'm Chester Prestes from São Paulo. I work with Cultural Actions in Conflicts Zone and we invite Tedd Lester for come for our conference in may 2010, but, he indicated you. So, I think you'll come to São Paulo again soon. I read your posts about São Paulo on your Blog and they are interesting. Do you read some thing in Portuguese. Please, I would like talk with you about our project. Let me know your e-mail adress or Facebook or Skype. I don't know. Anyway. Um beijo grande e espero falar com você em breve. Tchau. Chester Prestes (chester.pra-baldi@itaucultural.org.br).

    ReplyDelete