Thursday, August 13, 2009

A saideira

Last night was my last in São Paulo so I rounded up my friends for a saideira (one for the road). It ended up being one of my best nights here. We met up at Drosophyla, a laid back bar near Consolação for caipirinhas. Drosophyla has perhaps the coolest light fixtures I've ever seen--made from large copper colanders that let pass just enough golden light to find the straw to your caipirinha. By midnight, most people had headed home to bed but a valiant three chose to stick it out and continue on to Bar do Cidão for some choro (a bit like samba de mesa but with a slightly different rhythm and more wind instruments).

Cidão is the owner of this Vila Madalena bar (and bartender and chef). He runs a unpretentious establishment known for its nightly live samba de mesa and chorinho. When we arrived the musicians were on break so we chatted with them outside and then found a table. Samba de mesa and choro are typically placed around a table or simply in a circle. This time, for the first time, I was invited to join the circle and try out some of my newly acquired percussion skills. The hour I sat in the roda playing pandeiro, tamborim, and even a cuica (or was that a tan-tan?) with this group of talented young musicians was one of my all-time musical highlights. Granted I faked some of the rhythms and most of the technique, but I managed to keep up.

That is totally me playing a pandeiro

We lost another two after Cidão, but luckily there were more friends waiting for us at a bar near Rua Augusta. I can't remember the name and wouldn't recommend it if I did, but it was the perfect last venue to listen to a DJ spin reggae and Brazilian soul before exhaustion overcame us. As we left the last balada (club), the first birds were beginning to sing and my stomach was starting to grumble. Our last destination was the famous Estadão, known for its delicious roasted pork sandwiches. Here it's not uncommon to see prostitutes eating next to taxi drivers next to journalists from the newspaper headquartered across the street. I devoured by pernil and washed it down with a suco de abacaxi e hortelã juice (pineapple juice with fresh mint) and was even feeling pretty awake as I said good-bye to the last friend standing and hailed a cab.

Lanche de pernil com suco de abacaxi com hortalã--the best way to end any night on the town


The day's produce lined up outside Estadão

The cabbie drove me through the Centro and down into Santa Cecilia and I watched the city stream by--people waking up and heading to work, stopping at the lanchonete for a morning coffee and coxinha, cuing up outside the public hospital, returning from a night out. Beneath the minhocão (meaning giant earthworm and SP's longest elevated highway) the endless graffiti and pichação was swathed in the morning light. Even at 6 am the traffic was thick as we turned onto Cardoso de Almeida and up to Turiassu. I got out on my corner, already bustling and entered Edificio Elza. On the stairs I said good morning to a neighbor who was starting her day just as I was ending mine. It was a good last night in Sao Paulo.

Some of my favorite under-minhocão wall art


The corner of Turiassu and Cardoso de Almeida--my home in São Paulo




No comments:

Post a Comment